Thursday, July 24, 2008

What do you think of Facebook? Part 1

All right. I got into Facebook because everyone else was doing it. It was really cool when I got connected with people I hadn't seen since my wedding. I have actually looked at a couple of their pictures of their kids and looked at what they are doing at times. I even got in contact with my cousin which is awesome. We never really got on the phone with each other and live too far away. But I have mixed feelings.
My home page tells me that I have 80 friends--that is particularly affirming and certainly 80 more than I think I had in Middle School. But are they really my friends? Who are they and what role do they play in my life? Obviously I keep in touch with some of them more than others, but who are these people and how do I categorize them? Forgive me for over-engineering this thing (can't you just enjoy this?). Seriously, what expectations ought we have of our friends on facebook.
I think I would like to listen to you on this one and then weigh in a week later. My thinking right now leads me to lean on my last blog entry ("Are you in my personal space?") and think that Facebook is a unique social circle with me in the middle.
What do you think?

3 comments:

momofkrit said...

Marc, if your only interaction with others was through facebook then you would certainly be lacking in any real realtionships. My enjoyment of facebook comes from seeing pictures of friends, playing games with friends, and general communication with acquaintances. I just found an old college friend now in Texas and just found out an old babysitter is pregnant with # 2 and lives in Florida. Facebook allows me to feel as though I'm part of a real world out there during those long days when my only verbal communication is with children. Hope that sums up my thoughts. KT

Anonymous said...

In our world that lacks community, Facebook friends allows us to maintain friends that cross the span of our lives. It is always refreshing to hear from someone I knew during the best moments of my life. The connection reminds me of those moments and makes them more real to me.

Unknown said...

Hi Marc! We met briefly at Y-Fam at COS and also the new members dinner at Chris Gleeson's house. We were sad to see you go, I actually was planning to ask you to baptize our kids! Anyway I think Facebook is great, I have rekindled many REAL friendships from high school and beyond and with people moving away (like us!) it helps me feel connected, and reminds me of the brotherhood in Christ we have. I'm going to send you a friend request now!