Monday, August 25, 2008

Context

Why do I see more in the Gospel of John this time than I have seen in the last five times I have read it? I am not reading it alone. I am reading with others in my church. Our church is reading one chapter a day from the Gospel of John over 21 days (see the link in my last post). I am not thinking about particular people in my church as I read, but when I read I am just seeing more. Why?

Maybe I am paying attention better? Maybe I just know that I am not alone. Maybe it reminds me that my Spiritual life isn't just about me, my Bible and the Holy Spirit. I don't know. I do know that following Christ with others is just better.

2 comments:

Ryan Stockton said...

Totally! As I read through the Bible, I am amazed at what I am reading for seemingly the first time. Stuff hits you in different ways when you're in different times of life. It's great because it does the same things with other people as well, and when they share that experience and the new lessons learned, you learn more about God than you would have on your own.

It also reminds me just how much the words of the Bible are alive and can move you and change you no matter how "familiar" you are with it. It's wonderful that the stories never get old!

Anonymous said...

I can guide you into seeing everything.....when you are ready to love your husband with absolute and abject devotion.

In Christ
Jared