Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Devotion

Like I said in my last entry, life scatters our thoughts. The antidote to being scattered is devotion. Devotion is good news (translated into Bible words=gospel) for those pulled in many directions. To those gripped by their offense before God as recorded in Acts 2, the good news was for them to repent of their sins and acknowledge Jesus as Lord and Christ. Sounds good. What did that look like? It looked like devotion.

Luke gives a paradigmatic look at what this repentance looks like in Acts 2:42-47. The summary I would give is devotion. They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching, to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Devotion was and still is good news.

I wish I had seven cents for every time I heard someone say, “I need to slow down.” The busyness of life is a direct assault on devotion. I am growing in my conviction that a community is most powerful when it nurtures devotion. For the PTA, it nurtures devotion to effectiveness of public schools. For a church and a small group, it must nurture devotion to the things that nurture devotion to Christ.

But shouldn’t we just nurture devotion to Christ?

No comments: